Study in Japan-Student's Visa

A student visa is official permission by a foreign government to live and study in that country. Japan is one of the most advanced countries in the world. With cutting-edge technology and constant aim for innovation, Japan is a great destination for continuing your higher studies. Furthermore, the traditional cultural values of society offer a contrast that makes studying in Japan an even more interesting experience. Japanese culture highly values education and excellence, therefore, they have.

If you are planning to study in Japan for more than three months you’ll need to get a student visa. Just like any immigration procedure getting a visa involves a lot of form-filling, application processing and trips to an imposing-looking embassy building. The good news is that the Japanese student visa is one of the easiest visas to get.

JAPAN brings you information on undergraduate and postgraduate programs entirely taught in English at Japanese universities.  Even students who do not speak the language can study for a degree while experiencing Japan's rich culture and advanced facilities.

Ideally, up to four years study gap is acceptable.

For Japanese Language Program, below 30 is acceptable. For Master’s and Ph.D. program, age up to 40 is acceptable, depending on the academic results.

Procedure to apply visa:

Step 1:Choosing a school

Each Japanese language school has their own atmosphere and course structure, so you will want to find a school that fits your study style.

Step 2:Understand the application process
1.     Complete the student visa application form

2.     Submit all the required documents

3.     Once all the required documents are done send everything to the school.

4.     The school will then submit the visa application to the Immigration Bureau in Japan on your behalf.

5.     Be patient as it takes 2-to-3 months for Immigration to approve a visa application and issue the COE.

6.     Once the Immigration Bureau approves your visa application, the school will send you the Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

7.     Once you receive the COE, take it and the visa application form (obtained from the Japanese embassy in your country), photos and valid passport to the Japanese embassy or consulate in your city.

8.     The Embassy will issue you the actual student visa which can take anywhere from 3 – 7 days.

9.     You are now in possession of a brand new Japanese student visa!


Step 3:Prepare all the documents needed for the COE

Student Application Form
Eight identical ID Photos (4cm high × 3cm wide)
Passport photocopy
Academic documents
Proof of financial viability
The following documents are to prove you have sufficient funds to support yourself.

·         Bank statements

·         Income statements

·         Financial Aid award letter

·         Scholarship award letters

·         Letter of sponsorship

·          Parents and first blood-related relatives can be sponsor.


Step 4:After you receive your COE
As soon as you receive your COE, make an appointment at the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate in your area to apply for the actual visa.

In general, you’ll need the following documents:

1.      Valid Passport

2.     Visa application form from the Japanese embassy or consulate

3.     One photograph taken within the past 3 months

4.     Certificate of Eligibility – the original document and one copy

5.     Certificate of Admission – given to you by the school

6.     Other additional documents the specific consulate may ask for, depending on the country.

Get University and Government Scholarships

1.MEXT scholarship(“the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Scholarship”)
2.Doshisha University
3.Sophia University
4.JASSO International Student Scholarship Program
5.University of Tokyo

Part time job:

If you want to study in Japan for free, another option you might want to consider is finding a part-time job according to your schedule. This way, you will be able to work and this will help in paying for your expenses. Initially, a student visa does not allow for work hours. However, you can apply for a permit, which is not a difficult process. Once you have the necessary permit, you will be able to work up to 28 hours a week.

Some best universities in Japan

1.   University of Tokyo

2.   Kyoto university

3.    Osaka university

4.    Keio university

5.    Tokyo institute of technology

6.    Hokkaido university

7.    Tohoku university

8.    Nagaya university

9.    Tsukuba university

10.  Kobe university