Japanese Management Culture
Techniques of Japanese Management
• Theory Z
• Quality of Work Life (QWL)
• Quality Circles
These “Japanese Management culture” are invented by Dr. William Ouchi.
Theory Z is mainly concentrated on increasing employee satisfaction by giving a Life-time guaranteed job also with job progression in both on and off the work.
Dr. William Ouchi, states that Theory Z helps in :
• Employment stability
• Production rate will be high
• Higher employee satisfaction
Job security and Long-term employment
• Employees are recruited directly through campus recruitment or through Job fairs.
• The employer and the employee commitment exchange
• Pre-preparation of sacrifices of the employer employee to guarantee a life-time commitment.
• For Failure and achievements, the entire team is responsible.
• Trust is a first priority to achieve the tasks and goals.
Making the Decision Collectively
• Always group process is used in Japanese companies for decision making.
• An equal ranking for employees and managers to provide opportunity to propose ones individual idea without any hesitation.
Also concerning family
• The Japanese believe that problems at home may result as a root cause for the employee’s work performance
• Employee’s families are also considered in company.
• So, the Companies typically offers benefits like Medical, education, housing assistance, insurance, family allowances, and other aid for employee’s family.
Quality of Work Life (QWL)
Quality of Work Life (QWL) is a quality of relationship between employees & total working environment and a process by which an organization responds to employee needs which is varying from industry to industry
1. To create a positive attitude
2. To increase productivity
3. In order to standardize the employees’ way of living.
Strategies for Improvement of QWL
1. Self-managed work teams is an autonomous work group or integrated work teams
To plan, coordinate & control activities with the help of team leader and mainly employee participation
• Participating in most managerial concept schemes are allowed
• Develop a positive attitude
• Task and goal achievement, Social networking, Self-motivation, etc…
Quality Work Life is actually a method of improving employees’ motivation and creating interest to participate and to make a decision. Thus helping the company to low stress level environment and healthy organization which results in high quality of work life.
It is a concept of creating 6 to 12 member of employees who are doing similar work and voluntarily meeting each other and identifying improvements and documenting the progression in their respective work areas. Hence it is a proven techniques for solving work by analyzing and achieving the excellence to related problems which leads to the empowerment of employees
a) Changing the employee’s mindset from "It’s not my job" to "We all work for same organization" improving continuously helps in liveliness of work.
b) Bringing out the ‘Employee’s Potential’ to learn more about the employee’s mindset.
d) Total involvement of people at all levels, Higher motivational level, Improved Organizational Culture Positive working environment.
LAUNCHING QUALITY CIRCLES
The high level executives presets various understanding before launching Quality Circles in an organization with the help of complete understanding of employees’ interest in participation.
Quality Circles launching have these following steps:
1. The concept of inviting the employees volunteer the Quality Circles as members.
2. Middle level managers exposes the concept.
3. Nominate senior officers as facilitators
BENEFITS AND LIMITATIONS OF QUALITY CIRCLES
Advantages of quality circles
• Increase Productivity
• Improve Quality
• Greater upward flow of information
• Boost Employee Morale Disadvantages/problems with QC
• Inadequate Training
• Lack of Management commitment and support
• Jealousy and Envy by non-participants
Quality Circles are relevant for banks, government offices, hospitals, universities, research factories, firms, schools institutes, etc.